Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cleaning out the cobwebs

I know I have been neglecting blog, and I have no excuse. I'm here to sweep away the cobwebs it's gathered. =)  I have this blog, and I also have a "family" blog with pics of the kids, etc to keep everyone in the loop.  And while I have a hard time deciding what post goes where, and who wants to read what, I have to honestly tell you, I've been neglecting both.

So.  Last time I left off- I'd explained that BL was heading to Greenland.  WELL.  He's there.  And he's been there for 6 months.  Yes, I am home with family, but sometimes that has it's downfalls too.  We have our follow on orders to Ramstein Germany (freaky deeky, but oh so exciting!!) so it isn't like I could just move there while he's gone like you can in the states. 

Our airport goodbye was one of the weirdest for me.  It was a mix of relief, trepidation, and utter sadness.  Don't run off yet- I'm not saying I don't love my husband and was glad he was going.  What I'm saying... is that while I was terrified of being apart from him for a year, with two kids... I was so SO relieved that he was going to Greenland instead of a 365 to Iraq.  Ugh, or Korea.  I hugged and kissed him knowing that he would return safely to my arms, and probably the worse thing I'd have to worry about was him getting eaten by a polar bear.  (Come to find out, base goes into lock down at the sighting of a polar bear on base...right?!)

I walked away from him that morning with tears rolling down my face, an empty space in my heart, and a very heavy feeling.  But deep down I knew he would be safe. 

Being away from your spouse is so scary.  Mind games galore.  You wonder if you will survive it.  Not physically, but emotionally.  Will your marriage stand up?  Will you grow apart, or grow closer?  Will you realize that you don't really need him after all, or fall more and more in love with him?  These are all things I worried about so much in the beginning.  Yes our marriage has stood up- even in a couple terrible terrible times.  While we don't talk as much as we did at first, we appreciate and love each other more now than before- that I am SO thankful for.

So there's a small update, and I promise to be back more often.  I need it- my head will explode if I don't vent somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment